Archived Pages from 20th Century!!
Christus Rex et Redemptor Mundi is one of the Top 100 sites on the
Web and one of the 5 best virtual art museums, according to PC
"The Russian Army has been given a free hand to pursue
anihilation of the Chechen people and the systematic destruction of
villages and towns on a mass scale" - Valery Borshchov, member of
the Russian parliament - March 25, 1996
Support the cause of Freedom and Independence for all enslaved nations!
Notizie dalla Santa Sede e dal Mondo. --- Nouvelles du Saint-Siège et du Monde.
Noticias de la Santa Sede y del Mundo. -- Notícias da Santa Sè e do Mundo.
News from the Holy See and World News- Heilige Stuhl und Weltnachrichten.
News from the Holy Land Christus Rex Information Service (C.R.I.S.) publishes 13 news bulletins in 6 languages.
They include articles and news items published in the Italian, Spanish, Mexican, French, Belgian, Portuguese, Brazilian, German, Austrian, Swiss, British, Canadian and U.S. press. The articles represent the views of their respective editors, and should not be construed as being representative of the official position of the Holy See.
The founding of the Vatican Museums can be traced back to 1503 when the newly-elected Pope, Julius II, placed a statue of Apollo in the internal courtyard of the Belvedere Palace built by Innocent VIII; he brought the statue from the garden of his titular church of St. Peter in Chains. In 1506 the Laocoon was added to the collection, after its discovery on the Esquiline Hill before the eyes of Giuliano di Sangallo and Michelangelo Buonarroti.
Scores of artifacts were added throughout the next two centuries and the collections were eventually reorganized under Benedict XIV (1740-1758) and Clement XIII (1758-1769). They founded the Apostolic Library Museums: the Sacred (Museo Sacro - 1756) and the Profane (Museo Profano - 1767).
The Christian Museum, comprising finds from the catacombs that could not be conserved in situ, was founded by Pius IX in 1854 in the Lateran Palace and was moved to the Vatican Museums by Pope John XXIII.
Pius XI inaugurated in 1932 the definitive seat of the Vatican Picture
Gallery (the Pinacoteca), near the monumental entrance of the Vatican Museums.